Vakomana Vaviri Ve Zimbabwe (Two Gentlemen of Verona)
Two Gents Productions, London
- Sunday, June 28, 2009, 20:00h
director: Arne Pohlmeier
choreography: Jackson Pinto
with: Denton Chikura, Tonderai Munyevu
1 hr 30 minutes, no interval
price category: B
Introduction 45 minutes before curtain-up
Shakespeare meets Africa in this performance of “Two Gentlemen of Verona“, brought to us by two gentlemen of Zimbabwe. Denton Chikur and Tonderai Munyevu play all the 15 parts in the play (and, no doubt, also that of the dog) in the style of the strikingly energetic tradition of South African township theatre. The play turns on the central themes of the friendship of Valentin and Proteus, their love for the same woman, betrayal, treachery and reconciliation.
The German director, Arne Pohlmeier, lived in Africa for many years. With his portrayal of Valentin's banishment from Verona, he draws a poignant parallel to the fate of exiled Zimbabweans, their journey to a far-off England, and their loss of homeland and culture. A moving performance by two stunningly versatile actors.
German premiere in English
A summary of the play in German is available at the door.
Instructions for ordering tickets online
Single performances can be ordered directly by selecting the desired date. Tickets for various performances please order here.
Shakespeare Festival im Globe Neuss – Programme 2009
- A Midsummernight's Dream (in german)
- The Fairy Queen A masque by Henry Purcell (in german)
- The Famous History of the Life of King Henry VIII. (in german)
- In Darkness let Me Dwell Matinée concert
- Measure for Measure (in german)
- Roméo and Juliette (in french)
- Shakespeare and the Globe
- Joe Calarco Shakespeare's R&J after Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
- Comedy of Errors
- The Merchant of Venice
- A Midsummer Night's Dream
- Vakomana Vaviri Ve Zimbabwe (Two Gentlemen of Verona)
- Love's Labour's Lost (in german)